Is eating clean and eating healthy a very difficult thing to do for modern Singaporeans? To be frank, I used to think it is not easy, especially when the idea of cooking seems to be a bit tedious. So here I am to share with you a simple recipe that I have made using Dr. Bronner’s Magic All-One Organic Coconut Oil. Trust me, it is as simple as ABC or perhaps easier. lol
Why coconut oil?
Since I am thinking about losing weight and eating healthy so I have decided to use coconut oil instead. Coconut is considered one of the superfood which has a lot of amazing health benefits! For easy reading, I have listed some of them into point form –
- Increase Your Energy Expenditure aka burn more fats!
- Reduce appetite.
- Kill harmful pathogens and prevent infections.
- Increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can help reduce seizures in epileptic children.
- Improve Blood Cholesterol Levels and May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease.
- Protect against hair damage by blocking about 20% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Kill the harmful bacteria in the mouth during the process of oil pulling, improve dental health and reduce bad breath.
- Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Helps in the absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases.
- Control blood sugar and improves the secretion of insulin.
Simple Quinoa Salad with Coconut Oil Dressing
2 cups water/ broth
1 cup quinoa (Soaked overnight)
A clove of garlic (smashed)
A dash of Italian herbs
1/2 Carrot (Cut into small pieces)
1/3 Broccoli (Cut into smaller pieces)
4 young corn (Cut into small pieces)
1/2 lemon zest
2 tablespoon Coconut oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cook the quinoa in the rice cooker with 2 cups of water/ broth, smashed garlic, Italian herbs, carrot and young corn.
2. Put in the broccoli after 15 mins, let it cook till it is soft (about 5 mins). Remove from heat.
3. Squeeze the lemon juice and mix it with coconut oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix the coconut oil salad dressing with the cooked quinoa and vegetables.
This is a very simple recipe that I have cooked while trying to eat clean and healthy. You can also add in nuts, tofu or even sundried tomato. Basically, I just put everything into the rice cooker and let it do my job while I continue to do my own stuff at home. About 20 mins later, the quinoa is cooked and a meal is served. =) Cooking is all about experimenting and having fun in the kitchen. Although I might not be the best cook in town but I hope you will like my humble recipe. =)
Dr. Bronner’s Magic All-One Organic Coconut Oil can be purchased online from Nature’s Glory website