Spending time at home is such a wonderful thing. Haha if you have not realised, I am actually an extroverted introvert who enjoys staying at home. During Xmas day, I had the opportunity to stay and bake! It was such a blissful thing to do for me. Since the Lavender Shortbread cookies has gotten great reviews, I have decided to share the recipe.
Most of my ingredients are bought from Phoon Huat and Ntuc. To be honest, the recipe is really easy. Just that the preparation might be a bit troublesome but once you pass through that stage, all is well. I chopped some fresh mint, pounded the dried lavender into powdery form and zested some lemon using a grater to get the lemon zest. If you do not have a grater, you can also use a peeler to peel the lemon and finely chopped the skin.
Although there are many online recipes, I have decided to share this as I have took the pain to do the weight conversion from cups to grams. What I like about this recipe is the shortbread has a very nice buttery and melt in the mouth texture with a lovely aroma from the lavender which is not to overpowering.
- 341 g salted butter, softened
- 133 g white sugar
- 375 g cups all-purpose flour
- 62.5 g cornflour
- 2 tablespoons finely pounded dried lavender
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Cream the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in the lavender, mint and lemon zest.
3. Combine the flour and cornflour. Fold the mixture in slowly until well blended.
4. Divide dough into two balls and roll them out on a cling wrap to about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Refrigerate for at least an hour or until the dough is firm.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius
7. On a lightly floured surface, cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place on a parchment paper or baking paper.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven or till the cookies begin to brown at the edges.
9. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Optional: Nutella topping
If you like to have some nutella spread on your cookies, what you can do is to take out the cookies after baking them for 10 mins and spread some nutella onto them and continue to bake for 10 mins at 130 degree Celsius. Then cool the cookies completely before you keep them in a bottle.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. The recipe was first adopted from allrecipes.com